Family Support Services (FSS)
Call 607/273-0259 to enroll.
Family Support Services is a free, confidential and child-centered program serving families in Tompkins and Cortland Counties and their young children. Every baby has their own personality and parenting advice can come from all directions, and often it’s confusing to sort through and may not meet the unique needs of your child. At Family Support Services, we recognize the challenges (and joys!) of parenting and focus on a family’s strengths by providing comprehensive support and nonjudgmental guidance to parents and caregivers. At FSS, we understand the importance of the first years of life and believe parents are their child’s first teacher. Did you ever wonder…
- What babies learn while they play?
- Why toddlers don’t share?
- Why “no!” is a favorite word?
If you have, you’re not alone. FSS case managers work one-on-one with families caring for infants and toddlers up to age 5 and offer parenting support through home visits and referrals to community agencies. What we offer…
- Comprehensive individualized parenting support based on need
- Fun, developmentally-appropriate activities parents can do with their children to help them learn
- Transportation help to medical and social service appointments
- Regular developmental assessments from birth to age 5
- Nonjudgmental and confidential listening
- Personal goal setting
- Help with finding stable housing
- Information and referrals to appropriate agencies
- Help with applying to assistance programs
- Help with educational and employment goals
- Information on birth control, sexuality and healthy decision-making
- Children’s clothing and equipment
- Child safety tips
- Finding childcare