In Home Child Care Director
There is a shortage of child care in Tompkins County and you can help fill that gap! The Child Development Council is seeking to build the supply of quality child care by supporting in-home child care business development. If you are passionate about caring for children, we encourage you to become part of our growing network.
Council staff provide assistance with licensing, designing your child care environment and creating a program that meets your needs and the needs of families seeking care. As the In Home Child Care Director, you have control over the design and curriculum for your program and set your own schedule. Depending on your space and the ages of children in your care, you and an Assistant can serve up to 16 children aged 6 weeks-12 years.
Council staff will support your completion of the licensing process and provide continuing education opportunities for you and your Assistant. Continued one-on-one business development support services are tailored to meet your needs. A network of business support services is being developed to to reduce administrative demands of operating your program by helping with enrollment, billing and payments, food program reporting, marketing, creating a web presence and more.
- Passionate about offering high quality care for young children
- Energetic, responsible, professional
- Communicates well with children and parents
- Flexible and takes initiative
- Knowledgeable about child development and early childhood education
- Live in a house or apartment with a yard or close to a public school, park or play area
- The home must be clean and safe, the environment must be free from environmental hazards, radon, toxic paint/finishes
- Areas of the home used for care must be on the ground/first or second floor and have two exits, remote from each other
- Experience caring for children
- Commitment to lifelong learning, reflective practice and continuing professional development
- Health and Safety Training
- Infant/Pediatric CPR/First Aid training
- A recent physical and a TB test
- Ability to move quickly and lift 50 pounds
- Pass federal background check and fingerprint clearance